Ignore fake news, Agyapa deal on course – Finance Minister reveals

Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta has revealed that the controversial Agyapa Royalties deal is proceeding as planned, despite opposition from a section of the public and despite claims by some media houses that the agreement has been suspended.

According to a statement by the Finance Ministry on September 3, the claim purporting that the transaction via the Special Purpose Vehicle had been suspended following a meeting between government and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) on September 2, 2020 is false.

“The Ministry wishes to state that, the Agyapa Royalties transaction has not been suspended as is being reported on the Ghanaweb portal. We wish to also state that Mr. Mark Agyemang, Technical Manager of the Public Interest and Accountability Committee, who is purported to have said this in an interview with Starr FM, was not in this meeting,” the Ministry’s statement read.

Some civil society groups had earlier called for the suspension and or complete withdrawal of the deal over its structure. On the back of these calls, the government, spearheaded by the Ministry of Finance decided to commence an engagement process with a number of stakeholders over the concerns.

“The meeting with the CSOs was one such consultation and the Ministry agreed with them to further broaden the consultations and to solicit further input from them and other Ghanaian constituencies going forward,” the statement from the Ministry stated.

But the said engagement, according to the statement, did not conclude with government opting to suspend the deal.

Must Read

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related News